Terms and Conditions for UEA CareerHub
Privacy and Data Protection
We recognise that your personal privacy is a serious and important issue and we support the principle of protecting your privacy in all your dealings with us.
This data protection statement refers to the data held by the UEA Careers Service on its MyCareerCentral database of students, graduates, staff and employers. If you have a query regarding the data we hold please contact Jonathon Haylock at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your data is securely held in the UEA Careers Service and will be treated confidentially and appropriately in carrying out the ongoing business of the University. The data is for the use of the University of East Anglia and will not be disclosed to external organisations, other than those acting as agents for the University.
Data will be used for customer service activities, monitoring and evaluation of our services, and for quality assurance and service development purposes. In reporting on our activities, no individuals will be identifiable, and all data relating to individuals will be anonymised.
Under the terms of the 1998 Data Protection Act you have the right to object to the use of your data for any of the above purposes. If this is the case please contact Jonathon Haylock at email@example.com
More details can be found at: http://www.uea.ac.uk/is/strategies/infregs/dp/Data+Protection+Policy
The processing of personal data is regulated by the Data Protection Act 1998.
MyCareerCentral uses internet cookies only to record the fact that you have logged in to the application (first party session cookies). By logging in to the application you are giving consent for the following cookies to be saved on your computer. The cookies contain no personal information and they expire when you close your browser.
The session cookies are called:
- Authentication cookie contains encrypted authentication information.
- Expires when the browser is closed.
- Contains a randomly generated session ID number
- Expires when the browser is closed
- This contains the URL of the last page that you visited inside our application
- Expires when the browser is closed.
For more information about Cookies, please see the ICO website
Email shots will inform students through MyCareerCentral about events, services or resources which may be of interest. The system uses student preferences which they have selected in MyCareerCentral to tailor email shots by department, career interest or service area interests.
Students can update their preferences at any time. They also have the ability to opt out of receiving email shots and other communications according to data protection.
Employer Presentations and Career Fairs
Bookings for Employer presentations and Career Fairs will be made through MyCareerCentral.
The Careers Service Events team will be able to inform employers of the number of students booked to attend any bookable events; however, this is not always an accurate reflection of numbers attending on the day. We will use all steps possible to encourage attendance and offer a range of additional marketing options to employers, but we are unable to take responsibility in regards to student attendance on the day / evening of the event.
The Careers Service accepts vacancy adverts from employers in good faith. We cannot be held responsible for the job opportunity offered, but we do make every effort to ensure that all the information we publish is accurate.
Employers submitting vacancies are required to take responsibility for advertising details in accordance with employment legislation that may be relevant to each vacancy and to ensure that vacancies are advertised in accordance with anti-discrimination legislation relating to sex, race, disability, religion, sexual orientation and age. We reserve the sole right to refuse publication of vacancies which do not comply with the above and or with the UEA Careers Service Vacancy Advertising Policy.
Job vacancies and information are sent to students’ dependent on their preferences in the same way as email shots; students can also carry out specific searches.
Access to information
Employers should note that the University is a Public Authority for the purposes of the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Under the Act, the University must disclose, upon request, any information it holds in respect of this procurement or any subsequent dealings, subject to certain exemptions contained in the Act.
Please note that the University cannot undertake to honour your wishes but will take your views into account when considering any request for information. Blanket exclusions cannot be honoured and will not be taken into account.
Requests for access to information held on MyCareerCentral will be handled in accordance with our obligations under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Further information is available at:
Freedom of Information Act:
Data Protection Act
- To make effective use of our services, employers are expected to take responsibility for their event bookings and job vacancy listings.
- To enable us to provide an effective and equitable service to all our service users within limited resources, we expect our services to be used with consideration and for our staff and other service users. This means attending events and appointments as booked and informing us within a reasonable period of time if you are unable to attend for any reason.
- To provide our service users with up to date, accurate information on our services, we use our website and MyCareerCentral. We expect our service users to engage with our online resources and where possible use our interactive system for information on events, vacancies and making bookings
- To ensure that our services meet the needs of employers, we encourage feedback on what we do well and where we could do better, as well as information on any changing needs.